Friday, June 27, 2014

Malificent....Powerful and Strong!

Sleeping Beauty
Released:  January 29, 1959
Worldwide Box Office:  $51,600,000

Well up this week, I thought I would share some of my favorite drawings of Maleficent considering the recent release of Disney's film starring Angelina Jolie.  Maleficent is one of my favorite villains from one of my favorite films.  So keeping this real simple this week, here are few pieces with the dialog that you can just imagine in your mind Eleanor Audley speaking in her distinct voice.

First up from the beginning of the film, where Maleficent learns that she "wasn't wanted" by Merryweather.  Maleficent comes back, "Oh Dear, what an awkward situation....!"




This is a nice 16 field drawing of her and Diablo, signed by Marc Davis.  I love her expression and particularly the way Marc positions her finger and hand by her face to give just that extra touch of wicked elegance.

After she gathers her thoughts, bestows her "sleeping" gift, Maleficent expresses,
"Stand back you fools!"





This is also a nice key animators drawing of Maleficent complete in full figure with flowing robes, staff and fingernails!

Next up is a great a publicity photo I picked up last year of Eleanor Audley being filmed for the animated sequence.  In this sequence Eleanor is acting out the scene for when she retorts violent toward her Goons for looking for a baby all these years.  





A few years back, I was offered a wonderful collection of sequential drawings of Maleficent from the dramatic scene.  What was particularly fun was the way I was able to bring back to life in my hand her "wrath and fury" as I flipped the drawings.  This sequence was beautifully drawn on wider "technirama" animation paper and shows how they mastered her fiery robe to express her emotion.  There are also some great facial expressions in this very short but active scene.  Here she screams as she pulls up her robe and staff in this sequence,"Imbeciles!  Idiots!"   






This sequence was animated by Ambrozi "Amby" Paliwoda who was from my home state and born inCleveland, Ohio.  He worked at the Disney studio from 1935 to 1960 and was awarded the Animation Guild's Golden Award in 1985 for his lifetime work.  In a later post, I promise to share the full sequence complete with my re-created pencil test.  It is a great sequence. 


What do you think?!




2 comments:

  1. Incredible art. love the pan drawings. Thanks for another great post and sharing your collection with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the drawings. A small correction - Amby Paliwoda was Ukrainian-American born to a family of emigrants from Ukraine.

    ReplyDelete