Saturday, June 21, 2014

Discovering Winnie the Pooh!

and Happy Birthday to Kim, too!

Winnie the Pooh and the Honey Tree
Released:  February 4, 1966


Well up next I thought I would celebrate yet another family event and a nice discovery.  June of 2014 has had a lot of fun family events and to round them out I sharing a neat story about a wonderful set of production pieces from one of my sister's favorite films, Winnie the Pooh.  My sister's 45th birthday is this month and I thought this would be a fun post.

Next up is a production cel setup that I acquired several years back of Pooh getting stuck in Rabbit's door.  As befitting Pooh's character, his love for honey has gotten him into trouble and literally stuck!   Christopher Robin comes to the rescue along with Kanga and Eyeore to attempt to pull him out. Unfortunately, it doesn't work and Pooh has to learn a lesson.  "No more honey!" as is so eloquently quoted by Rabbit.  Below is a two cel setup of the characters that were trimmed and attached a new cel.  It was paired along with a photographic background of Rabbit's front door.



                              Original Production Cel Setup, gouache on trimmed celluloid
                              Acquired:  March 29, 2009
                              Artist:  Unknown
                              Sequence 1, Scene 540.1, 550


       Original Production Cel Setup paired with photographic background


One of the fun things about collecting animation is learning about and discovering new pieces and ways to display and interpret the art up close.  As luck would have it, a few years later I discovered a production background from the original film from the same sequence and scene that I could pair up with the cel setup.   




                              Original Production Background, watercolor on paper
                              Acquired:  May 20, 2011
                              Artist:  Unknown
                              Sequence 1, Scene 540.1, 550


After compositing the production elements together digitally, I now have a more complete and wonderful key master setup (or pretty close too, it!).  Once I get the chance to physically composite I will share a new image.  What do you think?   



                              Original Production Setup on Master Background, 
                                 gouache on celluloid and watercolor on paper
                              Acquired:  December 20, 2009
                              Artist:  Unknown
                              Sequence 2, Scene 116


 Happy Birthday Kim!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Sean,
    Ryan and I love your new site. We especialy love how your post are tied to your memories with family. You have a wonderful collection and we look forward to seeing your new pieces every Friday. Keep up the incredible job you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ryan! I am glad you have enjoyed these posts! I just started my blog up again so check out the latest posts.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete