Saturday, June 29, 2013

Cats and Dogs!

Alice in Wonderland
Released:  July 26, 1951

Well I was off to another adventure during the middle of June traveling to the Midwest to attend a wedding, a surprise birthday party and a summer visit with family.  After traveling the long way to Ohio, I spent a nice week with my family at their home in Tipp City, Ohio.  A Norman Rockwell town that would be idyllic for a Disney movie like Lady and the Tramp and such.  It is a great little town with a public library, nice shopping street and buildings that date back to the early 1800's before Ohio was even a state.

Spending time with my family at their country home is always refreshing and peaceful.  Except for when my parents dog, Travis and their cat, Michael or Kitty as my mother calls him, start having fun in the house.  So from this I was inspired to share a wonderful production cel setup of the dog and cat-epillar from Alice and Wonderland.   I have yet to fully read both books, so I am anxious to see wether or not this sequence is actually in the original story or not.









Picture above is a wonderful two cel setup on trimmed celluloid from when Alice meets these fun characters in Disney's version of Charles Dodgson's (aka Lewis Carol)  classic.  I love the interaction of the two characters as they have fun during the "Golden Afternoon" sequence of the film.  I posted images of the combined cel setup with and without the background so that you could see the cat-epilar a little better.   I love the fun characters from this film and I also like to collect production art of Disney "cats."

One interesting aspect of this piece is the registration holes alongside the right vertical.  If you reference the film you will note that the camera shot in this scene is a vertical pan from bottom to top of the production background.  So as the art was created for the scene the cels were created with the same registration.    Fun little cel setup that shows great interaction much like Travis and Kitty!


No comments:

Post a Comment