Thursday, June 13, 2013

A Bear, A Beauty and a Mermaid


Happy Birthday to My Sister!

Well today is my sister's 44th birthday and in honor of her day, I thought I would put up a couple of pieces from her favorite Disney animated films.  I sent her a text the other day and she surprised me with some of the films she chose.... so here it goes.  Happy Birthday Kim!  I hope you enjoy....

So to start off, I am putting up this wonderful production setup from Winnie the Pooh.  I remember when we were little and growing up in one of our favorite childhood homes in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, my sister loved Winnie the Pooh.  This was a time when we were both young, happy and going to the beach each weekend with our parents.  We had great neighborhood friends where we could ride our bikes, pretend we were superheroes and build forts, much like Christopher Robin in the 100 Hundred Acre Woods.





      Original production cel setup, gouache on celluloid on photographic background
      Cel Artist: Studio, unknown
      Acquired:  March 29, 2009 

Pictured above is a wonderful two cel production setup of Pooh stuck in Rabbit's house, while Christopher Robin, Kanga and Eyeore try to pull him out.  Do you know which of the featurette's this cel setup is from?

Next up, a film that surprised me was Beauty and the Beast.  Not that this film shouldn't have made her list, I just thought she would have picked something else.  This wonderful key master setup depicts the very first scene where Belle meets Beast in his castle dungeon.





      Original Key Master setup, gouache on celluloid, watercolor on board
      Sequence 6, Scene 34B
      Acquired:  December 13, 2002

Original art from this film is very scarce as Disney only sold 249 backgrounds setups at their Sotheby's auction held in Los Angeles on October 17, 1992.  This auction surpassed the prior Disney sale of Little Mermaid art in 1990 by raking in over $1.25 mm!  I love the gargoyles in this piece and it sort of reminds me from the scary forest scene in Snow White.




      Photocopy Storyboard, toner on paper
      Sequence 6, Scene 34B
      Storyboard Artist:  Studio, Unknown


Additionally this piece had a nice surprise when I opened it up to review it up close and scan for my online catalog.  I found the background painter had attached a copy of the storyboard from the film to the backside.  Fun!

So now for the final piece, another one of my favorite films as well, The Little Mermaid.  It seems that recently this movie has really increased in popularity, as I have noticed prices starting to rise for production art from this film.  I can certainly understand this, as this film has great story, wonderful characters and memorable music.  



      Original production cel setup, gouache on celluloid
      Cel Artist:  Studio, Unknown
      Acquired:  December 20, 2009


Above is a two cel production setup of Ariel from the scene where she is fantasizing about Prince Eric..."he loves me, he loves me not...," while Sebastian paces the sea floor.  A great vertical pan setup from the film showing two sides a story at once.

I hope my sister enjoys the art in honor of her birthday!  

Happy Birthday Kim!



11 comments:

  1. So a big thank you to my favorite brother! Your birthday wishes made my day! I would really enjoy those art pieces on my wall, love and I look forward to reading the next post....,,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you selling some Disney cels ?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello....yes I do deal in Disney animation artwork. I specialize in only production works. You can visit my website to learn more at:

      www.animationartshop.com

      or email me directly at:

      animate@alaska.net

      Thanks,
      -Sean

      Delete
  3. Hello. I have a little mermaid vertical cel from the sequence as well. Does yours have a Disney seal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jerry. Thank you for reading my post! No, my piece does not have the seal on the cels. I believe these were some of the last setups prepared once the disney animation program for Little Mermaid was winding down. Hence no seals. Also, Disney also did have a program where they let animation employees pick or purchase cel setups as well. Those setups do not have seals or certs and usually come with signed letter from the studio. I have another setup like that. This piece was most likely in that category.

      Does your cel setup have a seal/cert? Do you collect disney artwork from Little Mermaid?

      Thanks,
      -Sean

      Delete
  4. Hello Jerry. Thank you for reading my post! No, my piece does not have the seal on the cels. I believe these were some of the last setups prepared once the disney animation program for Little Mermaid was winding down. Hence no seals. Also, Disney also did have a program where they let animation employees pick or purchase cel setups as well. Those setups do not have seals or certs and usually come with signed letter from the studio. I have another setup like that. This piece was most likely in that category.

    Does your cel setup have a seal/cert? Do you collect disney artwork from Little Mermaid?

    Thanks,
    -Sean

    ReplyDelete
  5. My piece does not have the seal either. I only collect Little Mermaid cels. My collection is rather small. I have 5 Ariel cels. One from the wedding, one from the dinner scene (pink dress) one when she firsts sees prince Eric statue, one similar to this set up, and one with her holding statue Eric's face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your collection sounds very nice....I love animation art from Little Mermaid. The last to truly have been produced in the old methods. Watch more posts this coming Fall. I am about to move out of my full time corporate job and transition into my animation hobby more. I plan to post some more from collection and share some more stories. How did you acquire the vertical cel setup you have?

      Delete
  6. Hi Sean. I purchased my vertical cel set up from heritage auctions. Since my last comment to you my collection has grown by 3 cels! I just recently purchased another vertical cel set up from the “he loves me not” scene. It’s beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh...sorry it took so long to get back to you on this! Well thank you for sharing your comments on this. I am glad you able to pick up some new pieces. Did you get that piece from Heritage? That is a fun setup from the "love me not" scene in mermaid. What other vertical setups do add? Also, I just started my blog back up again and will be adding new stories each week. So check out my latest!

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete