Sunday, May 5, 2013

Kenai and Koda


Brother Bear
Released:  November 1, 2003


One of the last films to be produced at the Disney animation studio in Florida, Brother Bear is a wonderful, heart-warming story of new-found brotherhood in the most unusual circumstance.  Set in a period sometime around the last ice age or just after, the story unfolds in a setting much like modern day Alaska.  In fact many of the artists and key production staff visited Alaska to understand and capture the beauty of the state to help set the environment for the film.  They even visited the famous McNeil River Sanctuary just across the Cook Inlet to get a first hand look at Alaska’s famous grizzly bears up close in 1999.




Original maquette, cast resin with primer paint, numbered 17
Sculptor: Tony Cipriano
Reproduction Artist: Doug Hild
Acquired:  October 26, 2003


I was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time to add this wonderful production maquette to my collection.   Just shortly after having visited the Florida studio, much to my surprise the animation gallery decided to sell the actual display maquettes right from the animation tour display cases.  This maquette, based upon a concept drawing by producer Byron Howard, captures the trusting spirit of Kenai and the younger Koda.   It is marked number 17 on the bottom, features a detachable Koda and was sculpted by Tony Cipriano.  I love how the sculpture evokes the spirit of the story.  It sits proudly in my gallery reminding me of my own Alaska setting, all wrapped up in an animated art piece.

Here are some other shots of the piece in my home gallery around the time I purchased it.  This is a great maquette!







No comments:

Post a Comment