Sunday, May 19, 2013

Another Diversion in SFO - Chuck Jones



April 5, 2013

Chuck Jones Exhibit,

Museum of Cartoon Art,
San Francisco, CA


One of the great reasons to visit San Francisco is the climate, city life, the food/restaurants and because it also has many great museums.  During the same trip to visit the Snow White Exhibit, I also discovered Museum of Cartoon Art located at 655 Mission Street in the downtown San Francisco.  It just happened that the same weekend I was there they were hosting an exhibit of "Chuck Jones:  Drawing on Imagination:  100 Years of an animated artist."  Being that I am principally a fan of Disney animation I have always focused my collection in that area, I do however love a number of the Chuck Jones direct animation projects such as "Grinch" and "Horton."  His work at Warner Brothers offers some very memorable classic animation as well.  It was another treat to see some vintage work by this master, who by the way also worked at Disney for a brief stint after Warner Bros shut down their animation studio in the 50's.




 


The exhibit had a number of wonderful pieces including many drawings, backgrounds, cels and concept work showcasing Chuck Jones career in animation with both television and feature animation.  I thought I would share a number of my favorites from the exhibit.  Enjoy below!


Here are some wonderful closeups of the large pan drawing with Horton.... 








As you continued in the exhibit, I loved these drawings of Wile Coyote and Roadrunner.








Continuing some really nice production backgrounds.



From A Feather in His Hair, 1948




Production background from Go Fly A Kite, 1957


From Boyhood Daze, 1957

Nice concept from the Grinch and a stylized maquette that was Chuck Jones office during his working days.





If you are interested, you can read more about the Chuck Jones exhibit at the museum's website.

No comments:

Post a Comment