Friday, March 8, 2013

Neverland Island - Peter Pan


Neverland Island
Peter Pan
Released:  February 5, 1953

There are very few places that evoke the free-wheeling nature of your boyhood dreams like Neverland Island.   This wonderful concept painting illustrated by Mary Blair shows all the magic from J.M Barrie’s wonderful story of Peter Pan, the Lost Boys and Tinkerbell.  Vibrant, bold colors depict a lively magical place where one can be adventurous and never really have to worry.  

My animation friend, Dana Lang, was a big fan of Mary Blair’s work and exposed me to her thoughts about why she really liked her style.  Mary captured the essence of the 60’s ahead of her time.  She distilled in a very childlike way a painting style that expressed mood, energy and youthfulness.  It wasn’t till much later in my collecting that I understood this feeling and can understand why Walt Disney personally liked her style enough to influence his films of the 1950’s.

Mary Blair’s design for Neverland Island as captured in this concept literally made it onto the screen.  This painting sets the stage at the end of the film after Tinkerbell has spread pixie dust over the Jolly Roger commanded by Peter Pan to take Wendy, John and Michael home.  The magic comes through with the ship all in gold sailing off leaving trails of pixie dust behind.  Mary’s use of graphic imagery displays the scene down to it’s simplest elements and her color allows the eye to focus on what’s really important.  Given to me as a gift from a friend, this concept piece was the inspiration for what we see in the film and the basis for how the public today imagines Neverland Island.



Neverland Island Concept, gouache on board, Artist Mary Blair, acquired June 15, 2009


This is one my favorite pieces in my animation collection.  I love how your mind can get lost in the piece or imagine what it is like to actually be there.  The indian encampment, mermaid lagoon and the waterfalls.....are you ready to fly and explore the island?  What do you think?



2 comments:

  1. Very Nice work! I can tell that you are purely dedicated to your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cenendra....I appreciate the feedback! You are my first official comment since launching the blog. I hope that you continue to enjoy the stories and art that I plan to share over the coming months. You picked a good piece to start the dialogue. This concept is one of my favorites in the collection and demonstrates literally the magic that Mary Blair painted when thinking how Disney should visualize the story on the big screen. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete