Tuesday, October 18, 2022

Happy Birthday Jungle Book!

 

The Jungle Book 

Released:  October 18, 1967

Happy 55th Birthday!



On this date in 1967, the Walt Disney Studios premiered the release of Disney's 19th animated feature film, the Jungle Book.  Directed by Wolfgang Reitherman, Disney Legend and one of the Nine Old Men, the Jungle Book was the last feature film to have Walt Disney's direct influence.  At the time in 1967, it was Disney's second highest gross animated film in terms of box office receipts.  It is hard to believe that this film is only 55 years old!

This day is also special in another way as it is the birthday of my very first nephew Cameron.  So to commemorate both, I thought I would share a piece of concept art that is one my favorites in the collection.  I don't know a great deal about the piece and would love to learn more if anyone has something to share.  It is a great little painting of Mowgli and Bagheera at the edge of the jungle with wonderful bright colors.  I had previously posted this piece on my blog about 8 years ago, but thought it would be fun to share again.  Also, if you follow Andreas Deja blog, you can find a reference to the concept piece in his blog as well.   Concept art from the Jungle Book is very rare to find outside of the Disney Archives.  



                                Original Production Concept Painting, gouache on board 
                                Artist:  Disney Studio, unknown
                                Acquired:  February 12, 2009



Coincidently, on one of my auction buying trips to Los Angeles, I flew Cameron from Ohio to join me for a fun filled weekend at Howard Lowery's, Bonhams and Disneyland in 2005.  This little painting was up for sale in Bonhams animation sale and I was interested it.  You can just see the smaller concept behind the larger one on the right.  I had a fun time treating Cameron on this trip for his birthday.  


 

Happy Birthday to the Jungle Book!

Happy Birthday Cameron!




No comments:

Post a Comment