Saturday, August 27, 2022

A Little Pixie Dust up on the Mountain

 

Brother Bear & Peter Pan



Well I was a little delayed with my latest posting as a friend had descended from the sky to come visit me this past week.  My neighbor, Terry Dufresne, who lives next to me in Kona, Hawaii and summers in Portland, Oregon spent a few days with us.  It was her first visit to Alaska.  She came up to visit us before heading to perform at a Tap Festival in Vancouver, BC.  

Terry packs a fiery punch and dances with every step she takes.  We had a great time showing her around Anchorage visiting unique places.  We took her to the Alaska Native Hospital Gallery displays, Fur Exchange and the Captain Cook monument to see our Sleeping Lady.  Next up was a fantastic ride in the Prince William Sound to see the splendor of Alaska's tidewater glaciers and marine wildlife.  We must have seen over 100 sea otters as well black Bears, eagles, dall porpoises and more.  So in honor of my fanciful friend from Oregon who spreads magic pixie dust where ever she travels, I am sharing two pieces of art today in her honor.

First up is a beautiful background painting from the film, Brother Bear by artist Greg Drollette.  This wonderful production background shows off the plein air California style of painting that was hallmark of the production backgrounds from this film.  



Original Production Background, watercolor on board
Artist: Greg Drolette
Acquired:  November 12, 2008

Next, I am sharing a delightful production drawing of Terry's favorite character, Tinkerbell.  This rough animation drawing is from the sequence where Tink dips her toes into Captain Hooks inkwell to mark the spot on the map where the Lost Boy's hideout is located.   I shared this drawing with Terry one night after dinner.  I love the way Tink "dances" through air just like my friend Terry!

 

Original Production Drawing, graphite on 16 field animation paper
Artist: Unknown
Acquired:  August 27, 2007

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Sean for sharing our Alaskan adventure and my relationship with Tink. She’s always been my favorite Disney character- probably because we’re both dancers. Your display at the hospital for the kids was indeed impressive and I enjoyed seeing and hearing about all the stills up everywhere and the ones stashed in the cedar chest. What a great way to share animation. Our connection runs deep as only artists can create. Animate on my friend as I tap the rhythm into my next show- the holiday show, “Elf”. Cheers! Terry

    ReplyDelete