Friday, August 29, 2014

Part of your world.....

Little Mermaid
Released:  November 17, 1989
Worldwide Box Office:  $211,300,000


Well, recently I just got back from vacation in Hawaii and was inspired to share this next piece of animation art for two key reasons.  I love the ocean and it made me think of the Little Mermaid, one of my favorite disney films.....and Howard Lowery.   

A few years back I was lucky to win at auction from Howard this wonderful rough drawing of Ariel from the "Part of Your World" sequence where she sings "has everything....!"  Ariel in this piece is large, expressive and beautifully drawing by Glenn Keane.  I just love how expressive her eyes are.  One of the best drawings that I have seen of her in all of my years collecting.




                             Original Production Drawing, graphite on 16 field animation paper
                             Acquired:  February 19, 2012
                             Artist:  Glenn Keane



As many of you may already know, Howard Lowery used to operate the Howard Lowery Gallery in Burbank, California for many years was instrumental in helping to establish the modern collecting market for animation art.  His gallery is sadly no longer around but he does still dabble in selling animation on his website with weekly auctions.  Just recently he listed a piece from the Little Mermaid of a rough production drawing of Ariel by Glenn Keane from her "Part of your World" sequence.  What was remarkable to me was the interest (11 unique bidders) and the selling price.  The recent drawing sold for over $1500!




                                              Original Production Drawing, graphite on 16 field animation paper
                                              Artist:  Glenn Keane


Over the last several years, I have noticed a trend with art from the Little Mermaid rising higher in value and more in demand.  I guess with Howard's recent sale we are continuing to see strength in the contemporary films as the generation around the time of Little Mermaid is coming into the market.  What do you think? 


 



No comments:

Post a Comment