Monday, July 28, 2014

But I wanted it blue!

Sleeping Beauty
Released:  January 29, 1959
Worldwide Box Office:  $51,600,000

I have my first memory of watching Sleeping Beauty in Fairbanks while I was in college and renting a room from a classmates family.  My friend Nancy who was also attending the University of Alaska at the time, had pointed out the film to me for some reason while it was on the Disney Channel one weekend.  She knew I was interested in Disney animation and wanted to point out somethings in this film that she thought were interesting.   Her mother was there at the time and also remarked on the music in the film.  She was a big classical music fan and loved the score in the film.  So they piqued my interest and I sat down to watch.

As I got know the film better and as I learned about the artistry that went into the movie, it became increasingly apparent to me the quality of the workmanship that the Disney studio put into the film.  As mentioned on earlier posts, if you look closely you see the precision with the hand-inked lines in the cels to the wonderfully detailed backgrounds in practically ever seen.  One scene in particular was the sequence where the three good fairies, Flora, Fauna and Merryweather have sent Briar Rose out to the forest while they make the her 16th birthday cake and dress.  I love this sequence and think they story works really well.  The fairies are adorable and they were portrayed with such great character.  They add a magical element to the story that works really well in animation.  I have always loved Merryweather's practical personality and how she played against Flora's somewhat dominating lead. 

Today's post, I am sharing two different Art Corner setups.  First up is a great piece that really displays the attitude between Flora and Merryweather.  You can really hear Merryweather saying, "...but I wanted it blue!"





                              Original Production Cel Setup, gouache on trimmed celluloid
                              Acquired:  October 21, 2004
                              Cel Artist(s):  Unknown

Over the years of collecting animation I had always longed for a cel setup of the dress and the magic that brought it life during its making.  Unfortunately, in my nearly 30 years of collecting animation, I have had never seen a single cel come up in the market ....that is until recently!  Next up is Flora using her magic to make "a dress a princess can be proud of!"






                              Original Production Cel Setup, gouache on trimmed celluloid
                              Acquired:  April 15, 2012
                              Cel Artist(s):  Unknown


This is an amazing art corner setup.  The over piece is actually a four cel setup with Flora on the top level and the magic thread & spools on their own 2 levels and a separate level with the dress.  It is placed on a lithographic background as prepared for sale at the Art Corner in Disneyland.  If you look closely you will even see the blue sparkles post Merryweather's "make it blue" fight!    I wonder how many of these cel setups are still out there?



2 comments:

  1. Both of these are incredible :] Would love to have these in my collection. Thanks for posting Sean

    ReplyDelete
  2. You bet....the dress setup is particularly wonderful. What you don't see in the final film is the other set of spools on the left....but clearly the animators and cel painters drew them to be sure just in case the screen shot was visible.

    ReplyDelete