Sunday, April 14, 2013

Here comes Casey Jr!


Dumbo 
Released: October 23, 1941                 


Ever since I was little boy, I was always fascinated with planes, trains and automobiles.  I loved playing with models, matchbox cars and any toy that allowed me to build and imagine a world different than my own.  Model railroading was a natural extension of my personality and fortunately, Santa understood this and treated me to some electric trains at Christmas.   Growing up, I had a lot of fun building these miniature worlds in HO scale in my bedroom and after college, I rediscovered this love for model trains one day when I picked up a magazine called Garden Railways.  Combining my love for gardening and being outside during the comfortable Alaska summers, it seemed liked a natural combination to put a miniature train in my background.  The creative thinking behind my animation hobby found its way into the backyard with a garden train that encompasses nearly 14 scale miles of track in a natural setting with over 100 bonsai trees.   Not only can I escape with my art but I can also escape to the back yard!





Scenes from my train garden during the summer.


This wonderful concept painting carries that love of trains into my art collection in the house.  On a trip to California to attend an animation sale along with my good friend Debbie Weiss, I was fortunate enough to be top bidder on this watercolor concept piece of Dumbo’s Casey Jr.  I love the simplicity of this painting and it has a prominent place near the exit of my home out to the train garden.





                Original concept painting, watercolor on 12 field watercolor paper
                Artist:  Studio Artist, Unknown
                Acquired:  April 28, 2002


Animated up by one of Disney’s “Nine Old Men”, Ward Kimball who was also a train buff, Casey Jr portrayed the playful side of circus life.   Painted in watercolor on 12 field paper, this concept piece depicts one of the final scenes of the film.  Casey Jr is wearing a floral wreath to support the happy ending when Dumbo has finally made it to the big top as the star attraction.  The artist designed the look of one of the final scenes in the film and the use of bright and bold colors shows how Disney wanted to capture the storybook quality through the use of watercolor to convey the happy ending.



                                            Original photostat modelsheet, print of paper
                                            Artist  Ward Kimball
                                            Acquired:  April 12, 2011


Much later after acquiring the concept I stumble upon a this wonderful model sheet depicting Casey Jr in very playful action as reference for the studio animator's working on the film.   As mentioned Ward Kimball played a big part in designing the look of Casey Jr.  and this model sheet shows the his expressive drawings.   This comes complete with a studio stamp where you will notice that Joe Grant approved this reference on February 12, 1940. 




1 comment: